Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
If your family is anything like mine, evenings are crazy busy and there’s zero room for hours of cooking on a daily basis! With this delicious recipe toss these simple ingredients in your slow cooker and follow a few simple steps to create a dinner that even your littles will love.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup brown rice (we used our favorite: Uncle Ben’s)
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 bag shredded mexican cheese (any variety works)
- additional toppings of your liking for burrito bowl
- Combine chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt & 1 cup chicken stock in your slow cooker. Make sure chicken breasts are covered completely with chicken stock, add more if needed. Turn slow cooker on LOW and cook for 4 hours, do not remove lid at any time!
- Remove lid after 4 hours and add black beans, rice, frozen corn & remaining 1 cup of chicken broth. Replace the lid for an additional 3 – 4 hours and continue cooking on LOW. During the last hour of cooking stir around to check and make sure rice is cooking evenly & liquid from stock is evaporating.
- Use two forks, or a large wooden spoon, to gently shred chicken into bite size pieces. Chicken will fall apart easily! You can remove the chicken and do this on a cutting board, or keep it in the slow cooker pot. I like to keep mine in the pot to prevent any flavor from leaving the burrito mix! Add salt or pepper to your liking at this point.
- Serve your burrito bowls and add mexican cheese on top, along with any toppings you prefer. We recommend avocado, shredded lettuce, sour cream, diced green onions, cilantro, or whatever else you like!