Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice
Fried Rice is life. But- it’s LOADED with calories and grease, and while it may taste delicious, there’s no way it will ever be considered nutritious. I was inspired to try and make a substitute recipe that was just as tasty, but far more health conscious.
For me, the MOST important part of eating healthy is that it actually tastes good, so I promise no corners were cut as far as the yum-factor goes. Even my kids flipped over this!! And I know, I know, cauliflower isn’t -as- cost effective as a bag of rice, but your body will thank you in the long run! This recipe easily feeds 6, or 4 very hungry people!
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (or one thin chicken breast)
- 1 large head of Cauliflower (Or used a bag of “riced” Cauliflower if your grocery store carries it!)
- 1 cup of frozen carrots, corn & peas mix
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp Sesame Oil (I used Hot, for some kick)
- Pepper to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Parsley leaves for garnish
- Start off by slicing florets off of the head of cauliflower. Discard core/stems. Add half to a food processor and pulse until it’s in rice-like crumbles. Put in a large bowl, then pulse the other half. Add to the bowl.
- Add in peas, carrots and corn. Chop up onion and finely dice garlic, and add to the large bowl too. Add soy sauce. Mix all ingredients well, set aside.
- In another bowl, crack eggs, and beat lightly with a fork, adding some black pepper to taste.
- Lightly spray a deep pan with cooking spray and put on medium heat. Add egg mixture, scramble and chop up until cooked, then put on a plate and put aside. Turn off heat and wipe out pan.
- Next, dice up the chicken breast into half inch squares. Place chicken in a different bowl and mix well with Teriyaki sauce.
- Lightly spray pan again and put on high heat. Once on the heat for 2 full minutes, add chicken. Sauté until almost completely cooked through.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add sesame oil to the pan. Dump Cauliflower/veggie mixture in and mix in with chicken.
- Cover and cook for 6 minutes, moving contents around every 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add in chopped & scrambled egg, serve with optional parsley garnish and enjoy!